Saturday, March 23, 2013

Jackson's Mill Quilt Retreat

It never seems like we get to stay at Jackson's Mill long enough. I kind of wish it were a week long event rather than just a long weekend.  I'm already counting the days until next year!

Me and my friends Debbie and Susan went up on Thursday.  We managed to make a two hour trip in to an almost 6 hour trip!  We had a wonderful time!  We stopped at a couple different quilt shops, had a great lunch, and stopped at an outlet shop.  We got checked into our hotel room and then had a bite to eat.  Then it was back to the room to get rested up for the next day's festivities!!

Friday we had a nice leisurely breakfast and then went to check in at the retreat itself.  We met up with our friends Teresa and Kristen and then got everyone settled in to their classrooms.  I failed to take any pictures all weekend.  I'm really bad about that!  I need to do better.  My Friday class was an Iron Pad Caddy taught by Brenda Casto.  I made it on my Featherweight.  It didn't turn out half bad, but I have to say my Featherweight struggled with the walking foot and all the fabric layers.  I may not have had something adjusted quite right.  I need to play with it some more.  Here's my finished product:

It's going to be perfect for my little antique iron to carry back and forth to classes.  Brenda had drawn all of the sewing lines with arrows to follow on freezer paper to iron on our fabric.  This made it possible to finish this in just a few hours -- aside from hand stitching the binding to the back. 

Friday evening after dinner we started on our main class for the weekend.  Mine was Lucky Stars again taught by Brenda Casto.  I went totally scrappy with it using the Old Glory Gatherings line by Primitive Gatherings.  I was a little nervous that I wasn't going to like it when I first started putting it together, but I think it turned out fantastic!!
Brenda handed out some finishing directions that were slightly different from the pattern.  She had added a narrow inner border and then an outer piano key border.  I'm still debating on whether or not I want to add that.  I'm not sure I have enough reds and blues to do it which means I'd need to buy more fabric.  Fat quarters would be too much and it's hard to find some place that sells fat eighths.  I just don't know what I want to do with it.  

Saturday afternoon we took a little break and made a Snappy Bag.  Brenda had everything pre-cut and ready to go.  All we had to do was sew!  I thought they turned out super cute:
These are the little bags that have the tape measure pieces in them to make them "snap".  It was easy to make.  I may make a couple more to carry my sewing supplies in to classes. 

I'm anxious to register for next year!!  Come on June!!







No comments:

Post a Comment