Saturday, November 17, 2012

My Introduction to Hand Piecing

Sometime last year I got the notion that I wanted to learn to hand piece.  So I did .... and this is the very first block I put together:





No ... I didn't start with something simple!  LOL

I decided that I would take a few hand piecing classes when I went to the International Quilt Show in Cincinnati last April.  I signed up for two classes taught by Cindy Blackberg and got in to both.

Then, last winter after I had registered for classes in Cinci, I got the opportunity to take a class from Cindy here in WV before the Quilt Show so I jumped on the opportunity. The class I took was her Stamp Basket class.  We made one block in class and then I finished the little wall hanging later.

 



In Cinci, the first class I took was the Nine Patch Doll Quilt.  This probably would have been the best choice for a first attempt at hand piecing but why do things the easy way?  LOL




 The block on top below is the one I made in class and the others here at home.  I still need to finish this one.


The final class I took in Cinici, was the the Churn Dash Sampler class.


Below is the block I made in class and the beginning of the embroidery that goes around the outside of the quilt.  I'm looking forward to finishing this one.  I may cut out some more blocks during Thanksgiving if I can squeeze that in.



All of Cindy's patterns use her stamps.  I highly recommend them!!  You stamp the fabric and have a cutting line and a sewing line.  It saves so much time by not having to mark that 1/4" seam on each piece.  If I cut any over Thanksgiving I'll take a couple pictures and stick up here.

I love hand piecing.  I find it so relaxing and it's nice to be able to take projects with you places you can't carry your machine or just sitting in front of the TV.  I've gotten out of the habit of having something always cut and ready to sew, but I remedied that yesterday.  More to come on this new project soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment